Saturday, April 9, 2011
Eight is Great!
Oh, great Magic 8 ball. I believe yesterday's eight miles told me a TON about the future. First, a rundown:
1) I felt like crap when I woke up. I even went to the Dr. yesterday AM, thinking I had Strep. Nope on the Strep, yep on the feeling-like-crap - likely a cold coming on. I knew if I didn't get out the door yesterday, it would be NO easier the rest of this weekend.
2) Since I was running so late, I scrapped my point-to-point route that had been planned and decided on doing my 4mi neighborhood 2x, with a pitstop at my house. The route is basically 1.5m uphill, 1m across, then 1.5m downhill. I figured I would run it counter-clockwise once, and clockwise back.
3) I got out. Right as my Garmin chimed 1-mile, I swallowed a bug. Full on, hit the back of my throat-I-almost-puked bug eating. I briefly considered turning around and going home. And crawling onto the couch and sleeping for hours. I pushed the 'SLEEEEEEEP' out of my head and ran.
4) Pitstop. Chomps. Water. OHHH the uphills going the opposite way are BRUTAL. I ended up running a block, walking a block. I was having a hard time breathing & my nose was running like crazy.
5) Cleared the uphill was again flying. I zoned out and RAN. My feet and shoulders were tired. My hips hurt. I was ready to be done. I was running at 9:30/mi at this point, even once I hit level ground. That's FAST for me! (look at my last mile!)
Now, what I learned:
1) I can push myself. Hard. When I think I can't, I can.
2) Taking care of yourself is important. Today my cold has hit full-force and it's a day for rest.
3) Get your mind off the negative. Get your mind off the numbers. Once I started realizing how beautiful of a day it was, smiling at the kids and neighbors out and waving at other runners, I was honestly enjoying myself.
So yes, 8 miles. Done. Distance PR, at my long run pace (a smidge faster), while feeling like crap. Done & Done.