Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Eight is Great!


Oh, great Magic 8 ball.  I believe yesterday's eight miles told me a TON about the future.  First, a rundown:

1)  I felt like crap when I woke up.  I even went to the Dr. yesterday AM, thinking I had Strep.  Nope on the Strep, yep on the feeling-like-crap - likely a cold coming on.  I knew if I didn't get out the door yesterday, it would be NO easier the rest of this weekend.

2)  Since I was running so late, I scrapped my point-to-point route that had been planned and decided on doing my 4mi neighborhood 2x, with a pitstop at my house.  The route is basically 1.5m uphill, 1m across, then 1.5m downhill.  I figured I would run it counter-clockwise once, and clockwise back.

3)  I got out.  Right as my Garmin chimed 1-mile, I swallowed a bug.  Full on, hit the back of my throat-I-almost-puked bug eating.  I briefly considered turning around and going home.  And crawling onto the couch and sleeping for hours. I pushed the 'SLEEEEEEEP' out of my head and ran.

4)  Pitstop.  Chomps.  Water.  OHHH the uphills going the opposite way are BRUTAL.  I ended up running a block, walking a block.  I was having a hard time breathing & my nose was running like crazy.

5)  Cleared the uphill was again flying.  I zoned out and RAN.  My feet and shoulders were tired.  My hips hurt.  I was ready to be done.  I was running at 9:30/mi at this point, even once I hit level ground.  That's FAST for me!  (look at my last mile!)




Now, what I learned:

1)  I can push myself.  Hard.  When I think I can't, I can.

2)  Taking care of yourself is important.  Today my cold has hit full-force and it's a day for rest.

3)  Get your mind off the negative.  Get your mind off the numbers.  Once I started realizing how beautiful of a day it was, smiling at the kids and neighbors out and waving at other runners, I was honestly enjoying myself.

So yes, 8 miles.  Done.  Distance PR, at my long run pace (a smidge faster), while feeling like crap.  Done & Done.

8 comments:

  1. By yourself, with hills and a cold coming on! Hard core, girl! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your long run! It's so tough when you're not feeling well to get out there and "get 'er done".... but you did!!! Enjoy your rest day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, you are tough! I'm not sure I would have been able to push through all of that alone. Congrats! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a confidence-builder! You really, really can do ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to bust through it today!!! A great run with all those conditions in place many would have given up but you pushed through it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So proud of you!! Get better ASAP. I love that your showed Negative Nelly who was boss. Keep it going girlfriend.. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job Chelsea! Way to knock out that last mile - woot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!
    I'm curious what your long run peaks at? I'm following the Hal Higdon 1/2 training plan for my 1st half in June and mine peaks at 10 miles. You're at 8 already, so I was wondering what Mel has lined up for you.
    Way to get it done!

    ReplyDelete