Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Please be careful out there!

I know, we've all heard it.  Be aware when your'e outside.  Run against traffic.  Bike with traffic.  Make eye contact with drivers.  Never assume they see you.

But guys?  Even when *you* are doing everything right?  Shit goes wrong.

I happened to look out my window at work yesterday, and noticed a group of people standing in the middle of the street.  I squinted, and realized one of those people was on the ground, performing CPR on another human.  Hol-ee shit.


I watched as cops and medics arrived.  I listened on the police scanner (a local news station streams it) as the cops and medics radioed Harborview and described the person's condition.  He was biking along northbound - in a VERY clearly marked bike lane - when someone driving south decided to turn left at a high rate of speed, t-boning him.

He passed away today.

I've been shaken up for almost 24 hours now.  To see that all unfold - to hear the measures being taken to save his life and the massive search for the asshole driver who barely stopped & fled the scene - well.  Shit got real.

So please.  PLEASE.  Be alert.  Keep your eyes open.  Be safe out there guys.  :\



6 comments:

  1. I totally agree becareful. Life is to short! As drivers beaware of those around you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness!! That's horrible & the driver fled the scene!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad. I'd be shaken up too. Isn't it interesting how much more aware you become of runners and bikers when you are one of them. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap. That sucks. A girl i know got hit last weekend at Green Lake; is luckily ok. This helps solidify my fear of biking in traffic. I'll stick to the paths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's terrible! I usually ride at our local park. There are cars there but everyone if very respectful of the bikers out there. I run in the streets though and this morning a driver was waiving her arms pissed off at me because I was running against traffic - guess she isn't a runner huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I was just talking about this at a party. There are some really dumb people out there. I can't tell you how many people I see texting and driving while I'm running....its really very very scary.

    ReplyDelete